Massimo & Lella Vignelli
In 1960, Massimo Vignelli (Milan, 1931 - New York, 2014) and his wife Lella (architect Elena Valle - Udine, 1934 - New York, 2016) founded the Vignelli Studio for design and architecture, dealing with graphic design projects, exhibition set-ups, as well as furnishings and objects making. To distinguish the couple's work was the minimal style combined with their interdisciplinary approach, founded on Massimo’s motto "design is one", according to which a designer should be a transversal figure, who applies his creativity to different areas. This concept is present in the numerous assignments the duo undertook between Italy and the United States: from the design of objects, such as vases and lamps made by Massimo for Venini in the 1950s, up to large-scale projects, which reached their peak with the foundation, in 1971, of the Vignelli Associates studio in New York. Based on 10th Avenue, the studio signed famous projects such as the set-up of the Knoll International exhibition at the Muséè des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 1972. During the same year, the duo participated in the creation of the New York underground map by introducing in it his trademark Helvetica font.